The role of an attorney in Real Estate matters is very important, especially when it comes to buying and selling real estate or in tax-deferred exchanges. As several California Association of Realtors forms state, “A Real Estate Broker is the person qualified to advise on real estate transactions. If you desire legal or tax advice, consult an appropriate professional.”
Important Things to Consider
- Before signing or presenting any real estate document, especially an offer, it is advisable to first have your attorney review it in light of your unique circumstances.
- Binding relationships can be formed before you realize it. Don’t let anyone tell you it’s OK to sign a document and present it because it is “only an offer.” Once an offer leaves your hands and is signed by another party, you are bound to the contract.
- The establishment of a clear and unambiguous contract is essential to avoid surprises and the disputes that oftentimes follow.
- Appropriate and objective counseling prior to, during, and after a real estate transaction can be very important to your financial and emotional health.
Examples of Services Offered
- Purchases and Sales
- Options and Lease-Options
- Leases and Rental Agreements
- Co-Tenancy Agreements
- Tax-deferred exchanges
- Situations involving Easements (Express or Prescriptive)
- Situations involving Adverse Possession
- Situations involving Adjoining Landowner issues
- Subdivisions and Common Interest Developments (Condos, PUD’s, etc.)
- Land Use